It’s asparagus season in Seville and so I am always looking for different ways of preparing it. I’d never had an asparagus risotto before and thought … well, why not? It was gorgeous, with the addition of langostines and two kinds of mushrooms. And of course I saved enough asparagus to give to the cats as a treat.
Ingredients and instructions below the links.
- 3 tbsps olive oil, divided
- 3-6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (I used lots more)
- 1 small onion (or two shallots), diced
- 400 grams seta mushrooms, sliced
- 200 grams white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 kilo asparagus (lightly steamed)
- 1/2 kilo prawns or langostines, with shells & heads
- 1 tsp ground hot chilis (optional)
- 2 cups (370 grams) aborio rice
- 1/2 cup (250 ml) dry white wine
- 6 -7 cups broth
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Peel and devein prawns. Heat chicken stock with shells & heads from the prawns, bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer for about twenty minutes. Meanwhile steam the asparagus until just tender. Next, in a small frying pan, cook the gambas in a tbsp of olive oil (or butter) until just pink. Put aside. Sauté the sliced mushrooms in the same pan until tender, about 4-5 minutes and put to one side. You should now have your three ingredients ready. Strain the stock and keep warm.
In a large skillet, sauté the garlic and onion in the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil until translucent, then add the rice and stir quickly until it is well-coated and opaque, about 1 minute. This cooks the starchy coating and prevents the grains from sticking. Then stir in the wine and cook until it is nearly all evaporated.
Now comes the part that requires some patience. Add the chicken/prawn broth 1/2 cup at a time, slowly stirring on a med-low heat and making sure the rice doesn’t stick to the sides of the pan. Continue to cook and stir, allowing the rice to absorb each addition of broth until the risotto is slightly firm and creamy, or al dente. This takes about 20 minutes.
When the rice is done add the butter, grated parmesan and pre-cooked ingredients. Stir and serve.